PTE Academic: Test Overview
PTE Academic is designed to test your English reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
The test takes approximately three hours to complete. This includes an un-timed introduction to the test and one optional scheduled break of up to 10 minutes.
There are three timed parts:
Speaking and writing
Each part may contain a number of sections. Each section is individually timed
Important Test Tips
- Use correct punctuation for writing tasks: full stops, capital letters, commas, etc
- Answer the question. If the question asks you to write or speak about sport, write or speak about ‘sport’
- Keep strictly within the word limit given for writing tasks
- Respond quickly and keep speaking during speaking tasks. The microphone will close after 3 seconds of
silence and stop recording
- Write ENTIRELY in capital letters. Only use capitals when needed: at the beginning of sentences,
- Click Next before you have completed the task and are ready to move on